TOKYO (Tom Bluewater) – I like summer days except that I hate to sweat. I feel that the end of the year is almost there when summer days are over. Anyway, I have worked very hard for the past two weeks despite those scorching temperatures. So I have a pair of software releases to announce today. One of them is Family Track Central.
Family Track Central is a desktop application that helps you keep track of geographic locations of your family members in real time through their iOS devices. These days, most high school students own smartphones. When your child doesn’t come home before their curfew, wouldn’t you want to know where they are right now? Or wait for 72 hours so that the police can handle it as a missing person case and get a warrant by court from the cellular company? Wouldn’t it be nice if you get a local notification from your Mac when your family member approaches an area they are not supposed to go to? That’s what Family Track Central is about. It will let you pinpoint geographic positions of your family members on the map so that you can quickly find out where they are.
- Download a profile (UUID, display name, display picture) created by your family members from iCloud Drive.
- Import a family member profile sent by AirDrop.
- Keep track of geographic positions of your family members on the map. Find out where they were last time at exact time.
- Follow the movement of a family member you select on the map.
- Save location data as a separate file for analysis.
- Use a local data file to see the last known locations of your family members.
- Remove 100 location records at a time from iCloud Drive.
- Trace the footsteps of a family member during a given date. (in-app purchase) Use a local data file to trace the footsteps of a family member.
- Set up a geographical point. Get a local notification when a target member goes near this point. (in-app purchase)
- The fullScreen mode is supported.
- The application supports the retina screen.
- Languages: English only.
- Application file size: 32.8 MB.
- The application comes with a built-in 15-page user guide. Click on the button that says ‘Learn how to use Family Track Central’ in the Home screen.
- 10.12 (tested with 10.12.6), 10.13 (tested with 10.13.4)
- 64-bit system
- In order for you to keep track of your family members in real time, they must have the iOS counterpart (Family Track Me) installed and running on their devices.
- In order for you to keep track of your family members in real time, you all must share the same iCloud account with iCloud Drive on.
- In order for you to keep track of your family members in real time, they must have constant access to the Internet.
Version 1.2.0 (Released on September 16th, 2018)
- The user can drag and drop one onto the application window when they analyze a location data file.
- When they trace the footsteps of a family member, an additional column will appear in the annotation pin list, showing the distance between footsteps.
- User’s Guide is revised accordingly.
Version 1.1.0 (Released on September 11th, 2018)
- The application comes with a new in-app purchase, which allows the user to analyze location data files.
- Fix: When the user clicked on the download data toolbar button after entering the organize family members screen and downloading a file, menu commands became disabled.
- The user now has options of saving location data as application’s location data file (.ftc-loc) or a comma-separated values file (.csv). See the saving location data group by going to Preferences and navigating to the data tab.
- Some other minor changes are made.
Version 1.0.7 (Released on September 10th, 2018)
- File icons apply to .ftc-loc and .ftc-profile files.
- Minor changes are made to User’s Guide.
Version 1.0.5 (Released on September 7th, 2018)
- The user can now import a family member profile sent through the iOS counterpart of the application by AirDrop.
Version 1.0.4 (Released on September 6th, 2018)
- A change is made in making a subscription to CloudKit record changes.
- The user has options of selecting iCloud Drive or a local data file as a data source.
Version 1.0.2 (Released on September 5th, 2018)
- Fix: The user was prompted with an alert message when he or she was not logged into their iCloud account or had not Internet connection.
- Fix: In the organize family members screen the application could crash when they clicked on the data info toolbar button if any of the family members had no records to show.
There is no trial or demo version available since the application is available for free.
There is no video tutorial at this time.
Family Track Central is a product of Tom Bluewater.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Mac App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.