TOKYO (MacHouse) – Personally, I don’t watch TV. I don’t even own a TV set. It’s not that I’m anti-social. Instead, I read news on the web. In fact, I’m a news junkie. I go to one news web site after another to read news a dozen times a day. I introduced a desktop application called NewsRoll to the OS X world about a year and a half so that I could read news from different sources at a time. It’s been quite a hit in many countries. So I now have a similar iOS app of this kind. It’s called AllNews.
AllNews is a mobile app for iPhone and iPad users who would like to read multiple RSS news feeds at a time instead of visiting one news web site after another. With this app, you don’t scroll a list of news captions. Rather, AllNews will scroll each line of news captions for you. So just watch them and tap a news caption that catches your eyes so that you can read the entire story with a web browser. The app comes with a built-in library of 100+ RSS links. So just pick one or more and get lines of news captions rolling.
- Let the application roll multiple lines of news captions from right to left. Right, you don’t have to scroll a list of stories.
- Read news in the portrait or landscape mode.
- Let the application automatically update news or tap the force-update button to manually update news.
- Tap an interesting news caption that catches your eyes so that you can read the entire story with a web browser.
- Select a news source from 100 URLs that comes with the app or create a news source with a URL of your own.
- Adjust the scrolling speed.
- Adjust the frequency of updating news.
- Change the order by which lines of news captions appear.
- Add-on: Be notified of new captions that have been added since the last update.
- Add-on: Share news stories through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Weibo, TencentWeibo) or other apps (Message, Mail, Notes).
- The app comes with a 14-page user’s guide.
- Languages: English and Japanese only.
- Application file size: 32.5 MB.
- iOS 9.0 or above
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPod Touch, iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad Air, iPad Pro.
- A WiFi or WWAN connection is required to pull RSS news feeds.
- The user can tap the menu button to go to other screens only when they hold the device in the portrait mode.
- This app may be deprived of promised features if the device is jailbroken.
Version 1.1.2 (Released on June 19, 2017)
- Fixed: The application could fail to probe a valid RSS source.
- Minor changes are made in line with the latest Swift version.
- The iOS version is now able to receive a news source file from an updating desktop version through AirDrop.
Version 1.1.0 (Released on February 2, 2017)
- The user can now tap a new button looking like an eye on the HOME screen to hide or show title views.
- The user now has options of having or not having alternating colors on news caption rows. Go to Settings and see ‘Alternate rows of news captions’ under the header title ‘News scrolling 2’ for more information.
There is no trial or demo version available.
AllNews is a product of Tom Bluewater.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Mac App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.