TOKYO (MacHouse) – It was deskShots 2 a week ago. There was justIcons 2 two weeks ago. Yeah, right… I’ve been upgrading existing software titles for the past three weeks or so. Here comes another one. I submitted a new software release to Mac App Store some 12 hours ago. This new release is called Deskcap 2.
The two-year-old Deskcap was indispensable for me because it let me create a visual work area smaller than the entire desktop area of 2,560 px X 1,440 px. It’s old and now dead.
- Set up a work area with an actual window.
- Select one of the two frame types: sold frame or border frame.
- Consecutively select another work area from the status menu without closing the current one.
- The application comes with a build-in user’s guide called Quick Tour.
What is Deskcap 2?
If you use a 27-inch iMac to write application’s user’s guide, you don’t really need the entire desktop area. So you might confine your mouse movements within the boundaries of 1,440 px X 900 px at the top-left corner including the menu bar. Yet, you might find it difficult to work without visual boundaries. A window could go out of bounds, and you might find that out after going over a desktop movie that you have recorded. Using Deskcap 2, what you can do is to create visual boundaries over your desktop. Create a virtual work area that a color frame separates from the rest of the desktop area. Save one as a preset. You can then select one from application’s status menu to set a visual work area.
- Create a virtual work area. Save one as a preset.
- Select one of the two frame types (solid frame or border frame) from application’s status menu. Choose a frame from application’s status menu to set a virtual work area over the desktop area.
- Set the border width of border frames.
- The application does NOT support the fullScreen mode. The main application window is not resizable.
- The application supports the retina screen. (tested with 2014 2.6 GHz 13″ MacBook Pro)
- Languages: English only.
- Application file size: 27.7 MB.
- The application comes with a built-in 16-page user guide. Choose Show Quick Tour under Deskcap 2 whenever you need to see it.
- 10.8 (tested with 10.8.5), 10.9 (tested with 10.9.5), 10.10 (tested with 10.10.3)
- 64-bit system
Version 2.0.2 (Released on January 8, 2016)
- Under Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or higher, the user was not able to move the new frame window right below the menu bar, causing the y position to be arbitrarily set at 23 points.
Version 2.0.1 (Released on August 8, 2015)
- The user was not able to extend the height of the work area window up to the maximum suggested by the largest virtual frame size statement.
Click here to download a trial version. This trial version will remain fully functional for 7 days, starting from the very moment you first launch it.
There is no video tutorial at this time.
Deskcap 2 is a product of Tom Bluewater.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Mac App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.